Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mattek Sands and John Isner win Hopman Cup 2011 for US

The United States won the Hopman Cup for the sixth time as Bethanie Mattek-Sands and John Isner secured a 2-1 win over Belgium in the final in Perth.

A 6-1 6-3 defeat of Justine Henin and Ruben Bemelmans in the mixed doubles rubber gave the Americans victory.

Henin had earlier beaten Mattek-Sands 7-6 (8-6) 6-3 before Isner levelled the tie with a 6-3 6-4 win over Bemelmans.

The winners were each awarded a gold and diamond-encrusted tennis ball as their prize.

"I actually saw these when I first got here and I thought they were the best trophy in tennis," said Mattek-Sands. "It's been an amazing week."

Isner added: "This has been a great, great week. I'd like to thank Bethanie, her back's got to be hurting because she's been carrying me all week."
  
606: DEBATE
Your thoughts on the Hopman Cup

In the opening rubber, Henin and world number 58 Mattek-Sands shared eight consecutive service breaks before the American took a 6-4 lead in the tie-break.

But Henin saw off the two set points and closed out the set, before recovering from 3-1 down in the second set to reel off 18 of the last 19 points on her way to victory.

Belgium had been late replacements for Serbia in the final after Ana Ivanovic was forced to withdraw with a stomach injury, and Henin admitted: "When I heard I had to play the final I was really mentally getting ready to go to Melbourne.

"It took me until 3-1 down in the second set to start playing my game but in the last five games I really found my level and it was good to finish with a win.

"But they were the better team today and I think the best team of the week won. John was just too big but it's been great preparation for the Australian Open."

Images:
Mattek Sands and John Isner
Mattek Sands and John Isner
Mattek Sands and John Isner
Mattek Sands and John Isner
Mattek Sands and John Isner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...